Thursday 16 July 2015

The 23-year-old has acknowledged that
competition for places is strong, while Arsene
Wenger admits the midfielder could be used as
a wide option
Jack Wilshere has revealed he will discuss his
role within the Arsenal team with Arsene
Wenger before the start of the new season.
The 23-year-old spent over five months on the
sidelines after requiring ankle surgery last
season.
Wilshere was eased back into action following
his return in May and could only come on as a
late substitute in Arsenal's 4-0 win over Aston
Villa in the FA Cup final.
The midfielder returned early to pre-season
training in order to improve his fitness and
admits he faces a fight to secure a regular role
in Wenger's side.
"I haven't spoken to the boss about what plans
he has for me but I will do before the start of
the season," said Wilshere.
"At the moment, I'm just concentrating on
getting fit. I had a good end to the season and
I just want to keep it going.
"That's why I wanted to come back in early for
pre-season because I felt I missed too much of
last season and wanted to give myself the best
opportunity to get fit.
"I asked the boss 'Boss, can I come back early?'
I wanted that because I missed quite a lot of
last season.
"The competition is strong in midfield so, yes,
it's down to us as individuals to make that
place ours but I'm up for the challenge and I'm
sure the other boys are as well."
Wenger, meanwhile, has indicated that Wilshere
could be used as a wide option for the new
season.
"For me, Jack can play in all the offensive
positions - wide and central; and we have many
good creative players. They will all tell you
they want to play centrally. Unfortunately,
some have to go wide as well," said the
Arsenal manager.
"Jack always had an appetite but he's been out
for a long time. But already in the last two or
three games of last season, he has found his
burst back. His acceleration.
"For him and Alex [Oxlade-Chamberlain], it is
a big part of their game. To be efficient, they
need that. There are high demands physically to
be perfect. Jack is getting close.
"Like Alex, he was injured last year, early in
the season and missed five months. The top
level is so demanding physical that to be in
and out is a nightmare for the players. Jack
needs continuity.
"We have a big squad but not a massive one.
The opportunities will be there for everyone."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Advertisement

Livescore powered by whatsthescore.com

Click banner for details...